Under the National Housing Trust Act a Self-Employed person is someone gainfully occupied in Jamaica who, in relation to that occupation, is not employed by someone (other than himself/herself) or some company (that he/she does not own).

If you are registering as a self-employed person please click here for more information. 

If you are not sure whether you are self-employed, please take a look at the list below.

Self-Employed persons fall in one of the following 7 categories –

  1. Persons working for themselves, who may or may not have anyone else working for them, or who have employees who are not required by law to make NHT contributions.
  2. Persons who are already earning and contributing under the regular payroll of a company or agency but who are also involved in additional income earning activities.
  3. Persons employed to registered companies as private consultants/contractors (That is, persons employed under a CONTRACT FOR SERVICE who, for example, provide their own tools and other resources to do the job).
  4. Directors of Companies who are paid Director's Fees.
  5. Jamaicans who are working overseas on a work permit and are not a permanent resident or citizen of that country (Condition apply).
  6. Domestic Workers, gardeners and local care givers who work in the homes of their employers.
    1. Jamaican citizens employed to Embassies, United Nations Agencies, High Commissions and Consulates situated in Jamaica.

Contributors may or may not be Jamaican citizens, but he/she must be above the age of 18 but not above the age of retirement and earning at least the minimum wage.