1) WHAT IS THE HOME GRANT?
The Home Grant is a special offer of up to $2.5 million, to NHT contributors now earning between minimum wage and $15,000.99 per week, and who do not yet own a home. The Grant may be combined with an NHT loan to purchase land or residential property, or to build.
2) WHO CAN APPLY FOR THE GRANT?
All NHT contributors now earning between minimum wage and $15,000.99 per week may apply, once they have satisfied the following conditions:
- must have contributed to the NHT for a minimum of 7 years.
- must have made at least 52 weekly contributions; 13 of those contributions must have been made during the 26 weeks period leading up to the date of application.
- not a homeowner and have not received a previous loan from the NHT (except for a Solar Water Heater loan).
- identified a housing solution, and ready to build/purchase.
Three (3) eligible contributors may co-apply under this programme.
The following persons are not eligible for a Grant even if they satisfy the conditions above:
- persons who have joined or co-applied with other NHT contributors to take up previous loans
- contributors, whose spouses are homeowners (whether or not their names appear on the Titles). However, if a spouse owns a residential lot only, then the Grant may be accessed for construction.
3) WHEN TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted at any NHT Office between 9:00 am. and 4:00 p.m. from Mondays to Thursdays and from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Fridays. Applications will, however, be accepted from 7:30 a.m. each day at the Kingston & St Andrew, St. James, Clarendon and St Catherine offices.
4) HOW TO APPLY
Fill out the application form available on our website or from any NHT office Islandwide.
Completing the Application Form
- You must state your contribution history on the application form. This consists of the specific month(s) and year(s) that you have worked with a particular employer. For example: December 1997 to January 2023.
- For any additional income declared, NHT contributions must have been paid on the said income prior to the submission of the application.
- You must provide proof of your contributions at the time you apply. For persons who are employed, this proof would be in the form of a letter from present and previous employer(s). For persons who are self-employed*, proof of contribution is the NHT certificate.
- Applicants must attach proof of their income to the application form.
- Persons applying should ensure that their NIS NUMBER is correct. An incorrect NIS Number will result in delays in the processing of the application.
- Do not use correcting fluid or "whiteout" on any section of the application form. If you make an error, cross out the mistake, then write in the correct information.
- Be sure to write your telephone contact numbers (cell, home & work) on the application form.
- If you falsify any information your application will automatically be rejected.
5) HOW WILL CONTRIBUTORS BE SELECTED?
Contributors will be selected by a points system. You earn points according to your income (see table below). You also earn points based on the number of contributions you have made to the NHT – (20 points for each 52 weeks, you have contributed).
Minimum wage - $15,000.99
$15,001 - $30,000.99
$30,001 - $42,000.99
$42,001 and over
6) SPECIAL TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Contributors who benefit under the Home Grant Programme, and who choose to dispose of the unit within 10 years must repay the full loan balance, as well as the subsidy amount and the interest amortized at the prevailing 90 day Treasury Bill rate.
- Mortgagors will not be permitted to rent units financed using Home Grants without the written consent of the NHT. Where this direction is breached, the Grant amount will be added to the outstanding principal of the loan for full servicing.
- Contributors who benefit under the Home Grant Programme, may only access an additional loan from the Trust for the purpose of home improvement. This loan may be issued at any time after the purchase of the unit, subject to affordability.
- Applicants must process their loans directly through the NHT.
7) WHEN AND HOW WILL THE GRANT BE PAID?
Persons who are selected to receive the Grant will be given a commitment letter stating the sum that they have been granted. When they are ready to buy or build a house they may take this letter, along with other supporting documents, back to the Trust, so that the funds may be paid out.
IMPORTANT: APPLICATIONS SENT VIA MAIL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE NHT ALONG WITH LOAN DOCUMENTS.