Under the National Housing Trust Act an Employee is someone at/over the age of 18 and under the age of retirement, gainfully occupied in employment and not earning less than the minimum wage.
You are considered an Employee if you are –
- Employed in Jamaica under any contract (whether written or oral) of service or apprenticeship regardless of whether it was expressed or implied.
- Employed outside of Jamaica under any contract (whether written or oral) of service or apprenticeship regardless of whether it was expressed or implied, by a person/company/business domiciled (based) in Jamaica.
- Employed as a master or a member (or in an other capacity as a part) of the crew of any vessel registered in Jamaica or any other vessel of which the managing owner or manager resides or has his/her principal place of business in Jamaica.
- Employed as a pilot, commander, navigator, crew member or any other capacity aboard any aircraft flying the Jamaican flag.
- Employed (as a citizen of Jamaica) outside of Jamaica by a Jamaican Embassy, Jamaican High Commission, Jamaican Consulate, Jamaican business/company (meaning one that was incorporated in Jamaica) or a resident abroad.
- Serving as a member of the Jamaica Defense Force.
- Employed under a contract of service by your spouse.