How to apply


If you made contributions in 2016 and before, and you have not yet claimed your contributions refund, you may apply as of January 1, 2024 or throughout the current year.

Current NHT mortgagors, who received their loans directly from the Trust, will have their refund amount automatically credited to their mortgage account. However, if you are a public sector worker, received your mortgage through the Joint Finance Mortgage Programme (JFMP) or the Combined Mortgage Programme (CMP) you may apply for your refunds. 

To apply, you will need:

  • Your National Insurance Scheme (NIS) Number –  If you have more than one NIS number, ask the NIS office for a letter stating which of these numbers is the correct one. Then contact the NHT to ensure that this matches with NHT’s records before you apply.
  • Your TRN (Tax Registration Number)
  • Valid ID (Driver’s Licence, Passport, Voter’s ID). If you have changed your name since making contributions, you will need to provide proof of change of name to the NHT before you apply. 
  • The registered names of the companies with which you have worked and the years when you worked at each company. Select your company’s name from the list of companies available. If your company has changed its name, search first using the registered name on your pay slip for the year the NHT deduction was made. If you cannot find it, search for the new name.

Retired employees, invalidity pensioners, expatriates or foreign nationals (who have worked in Jamaica and are now leaving permanently) are eligible to access Special Refund.

Persons applying for Special Refund must complete the applications form online and then visit your Branch Office to submit your:

  • NIS 
  • TRN Card,
  • Valid ID (passport, driver’s licence or voter’s card) 
  • Along with Verification letter from all your employers indicating the periods worked, the amount paid on your behalf and the company’s reference number.

When you apply, you will receive a reference number. Please put this number in a safe place. You will need it to check on the status of your application. 

Method of payment
You can choose for your refund payment to be made to the following institutions:

  • National Commercial Bank, 
  • Bank of Nova Scotia, 
  • Sagicor Bank Jamaica Limited, 
  • First Caribbean Bank or First Global Bank), 
  • First Global Bank,
  • JN Bank,
  • JMMB Bank,
  • NCB Prepaid Keycard Cash, 
  • JMMB Money Transfer, 
  • JN Money Transfer Services (JNMTS) 
  • Victoria Mutual Money Transfer Services (VMMTS).

If there is any difficulty in processing your claim, you will be notified via e-mail or telephone. However, you may contact our Customer Care Department at:

Toll-Free numbers:
(for local callers only)
(1-888)-CALL NHT